happy monday, everyone! i hope your holiday season was awesome. i've spent the last 10 days in california, visiting with college friends in san francisco and spending time with family in northern california. christmas was great, but everything flew by too fast! now i'm packing up to return to chicago *sad face* and figured i would distract myself by doing a running survey :)
1) would you rather run along a beach path or on a mountain trail? definitely a beach. we have a lake beach in chicago, but one of my biggest regrets about not running in undergrad is never getting to take advantage of the beach trails on my college campus.
oh ucsb, how i miss you.
2) if you could choose the flavor of gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be? the pink kind! i think it's strawberry watermelon? i'm not totally sure about that one. all i know is that it was on mega sale at cvs last year and it made training for my first half a little bit better. 3) if i gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it? probably shoes. i feel like i have enough clothes (don't confuse that with me not wanting more), but shoes get worn out pretty quickly. 4) do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run? a bit of both. i have yet to follow a training plan completely (so much for that goal of 2015!), but i do like having some structure. so if it's a few weeks from race day, i'll probably force myself to do a long run, even if i only want to do 2 miles. 5) would you rather start your
run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the
downhill and end with the uphill? start uphill and end on the downhill. i'm already
feeling tired and poopy by the end of a run, i don't need anything else
to deter me from finishing.
this 10k ended on a HUGE hill and i felt like death.
6) when you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do? pure barre! oh how i miss that strength training. i also get on the stationary bike if i'm looking for cardio but can't run. 7) what is your preference—> out and back, point to point, or loop runs? loop runs. i like getting to see different things on my run, but ending where i started is usually so much easier, logistically. 8) if you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be a—> i'm going to take this as something they wouldn't expect they might need (i.e. shoes) and say a foam roller. injuries happen! best to try to keep them away the best you can.
9) do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs? bunnies! i get soooo excited every time i see one, too. but that's about the extent of wild life in downtown chicago.
tiny little baby bunny!
10) ever gotten lost while out on a run? i don't think so? sometimes i'll turn on the wrong street, but it's a pretty easy fix. so i wouldn't say i've gotten truly lost. 11) if you could have one meal
waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the
next 30 days, what would that meal be? breakfast combo from chicago diner. scrambled tofu (with siracha!), hash browns, seitan, fruit, and toast. it's so good.
12) capris or shorts; what do you run in most often? shorts. i actually don't think i've ever run in capris... 13) at what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go? i usually feel good during mile 2, so i'd say it takes about 10-15 minutes for me to warm up. but, if i'm being honest, it takes crossing the half-way point of any distance for me to feel like i don't want to stop and give up. 14) what do you do with your key when you run? short runs, i keep them looped around my thumb. long runs, hooked in to my flip-belt. if i end getting a running cuff using my christmas money though, that's where they'll be! 15) if you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one would it be? disneyland half. i loved that race. i didn't need my headphones to get through it, i was happy for the first 10 miles, and i felt really strong, despite doing a 10k and a lot of walking the day before. i didn't end up hitting my a or b goal, but i finished a half marathon for the first time, and it was awesome.
how would you answer these questions? answer in the comments or link me to your post if you decide to do the survey, too!